Thursday, May 1, 2008

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

It is obvious that journalism in the 21st century is full of change. I have discussed the various issues, positive and negative, surrounding convergence and reporting ethos. I have mentioned in previous posts the continued challenge of objectivity and if in fact change is the right thing for the industry itself. But what have i learnt from my little 'journey through my mind' and how has my stance on journalism and what it means changed exactly?
By participating in Online Journalism class here at the University of Miami, i have been surrounded by people more passionate about, and involved in, the industry of writing and journalism itself. They have shown me that despite your best intentions, it is always necessary to review, review, review, for often there is an oversight or inaccuracy, and 'spot on' reporting is vital to the industry's reputation and high standing, especially in the midst of 21st century change. I have realized through my interactions with others in the class that convergence and teamwork are very much a staple point of new media success. It is very hard to have sufficient knowledge in all facets of writing, multimedia programs and publishing so it seems that teamwork and seeking the assistance of others has never been so integral. 
I have always enjoyed writing, more so creatively rather than hard-line and super objective news reporting. Online journalism has taught me that there is room, essentially, for both. Blogging could be seen as a bridge between the subjective writing and objective hard news. But despite this assumption, there are always structures omnipresent in the industry that govern, or at least shape, a journalist's content. As referred to prior, despite my initial resistance perhaps it is these such structures that the industry needs in order to survive in the face of this seemingly constant change.

No comments: